Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Power of Tension

One of the things that is great about not having a car is that walking is a lot less stressful than driving. I sure don't miss the honking, and, for that matter, is it just me or are cars driving closer to cars these days? I was walking around Saint Louis last week, heading to their new excellent light rail

when I came upon this traffic accident, a block or so before the light rail station. (I kept calling the light rail a subway, which seemed to upset the Saint Louis residents--they didn't want to be associated with subways, for whatever reason.) 

No one appeared to be hurt, but the wheels of the middle car had been lifted up off the ground, as if my car magic. I saw it as a measure of tension, the anxiety raising the car, a superhuman strength. It was the power of the dark side.  

No comments: